Sunday, August 2, 2015

Finally!


Chapter 38

Admittedly, I haven’t put pen to paper for several weeks—speaking metaphorically since we all know I just don’t write that way. I guess a better way to say it would be fingers to keyboard but that wouldn’t be entirely truthful since I have done other things on this keyboard—just not recorded anything for this BLOG.

But, repenting, I decided it was time to catch you up.

South Africa is not a kind place to live—at least not to ES and myself. He was battling another eye infection and asthma and prostatitis again. He is still on meds for that. Now me, I couldn’t seem to get well from what is called here a “running stomach.” Without going into details I’m sure you can understand what was going on with me. After 2 weeks of not getting better—even after being on antibiotics—I returned to the doctors. She actually did a test and discovered something perplexing in my entire digestive system including my mouth. I had successfully depleted all friendly bacteria and was only left with the bad guys—mostly yeast.  The doctor had no idea how that would happen especially since I take probiotics regularly. No wonder I was sick all the time. So, the doctor has me on another regiment trying to replace the bad guys with good guys. It must be working because I am feeling better and able to do a bit more work and trips.

Needless to say, I have been flat-bound for a few weeks only venturing out a few hours at a time. Fortunately, I was able to go to church but not out to Lydenburg or anywhere in between. ES did most of the shopping and cleaning as getting out of bed was a chore. Bless him for his attention to me.

Well, I’m doing better and eating better now so I believe I am on the road to recovery once again.

I am still off salads and tap water because who knows really how this happened and I don’t want a rerun of it. ES seems to be doing better as well. Only time will tell how long our good health will last.

Since my writing we have baptized all those from our teaching pool. We have 3 left who will be confirmed this next Sunday and then we must find some more to teach. We have kinda maxed out in Lydenburg as we’ve hit our transportation limit. We do have 5 more we are teaching but none of those are on date so we’ll see. One of those own a car so they may be able to help in transport if needed. It looks like we’ll be doing this for a while as the area has nixed our request for a Branch/Cluster. ????? Don’t know why but it will happen someday… Has too.

Seminary has been on a break but is now back in order on Saturdays. Institute starts again this Wednesday as the Nkosi girls have been away for their school holidays.

Tonight, the Dunns as in President and Sister Dunn are coming to Nelspruit for interviews. They will be at our flat tonight. Then tomorrow we are taking them to tour Lydenburg and meet the members there. So hope is still out there. Without hope one must be in despair and we are not… so we are hopeful.

 

Well, a long time has passed again without writing or posting… I hope you’ve noticed my absence but then again, maybe not.

Our trip to Lydenburg was successful. I have photos.

I am feeling a bit better most of the days but suddenly I get ill again and cannot get out of the house. But, oh well.

Tonight is Sunday’s farewell transfer time dinner and we are losing 3 of our four missionaries. Very Weird! Elder X is supposed to be leaving the mission and going home but he has asked for a 10 day extension so he could go home the same time as his cousin who is also serving somewhere in SA so he will delay his going home until August 10 but his companion, Elder Allen who is our newbie elder, has been transferred somewhere and Elder Lea Aytoea is being transferred to Soweto and will be a Zone Leader. We do not know who we will get but it will be 3 new ones. KaNyamazane will have 3 elders counting Elder X who will show them the ropes for his last 10 days.

Elder L asked for enchiladas, rice and chocolate cake… I’ve thrown in salad as well. I was home making and baking all day yesterday so I wouldn’t have to do much today. My plan worked. I am enjoying the Sabbath immensely. Enchiladas are better the second day, anyway.

Otherwise, it has been business as usual. I am teaching my normal classes and ES is teaching with the missionaries.

We have plans to spend the day with the Swans tomorrow showing them Lydenburg and doing a bit of sightseeing. Then maybe take in a movie. We don’t do this very often but it sounds like fun. Of course, I will be doing the driving. I hope I am well enough to go.

Now, I’m going to try to post photos from both the phone and the Ipad… If you see anything you know it worked.

Still no monkeys in the kitchen and for that I am always thankful.
Seminary class celebrating Nolwazi's 18th B'day
 



Mickey and Bear tucked in bed... ES's new blanket... Says Keep Calm and Count Sheep

My latest practice piece. Really interesting process
 
 
 
Service project at Nomtondazo's house


outside view
 



a real live inside potty!

Sister Elizabeth's luggage she carried on the train from Zimbabwe

Elder L and Elder Ed celebrating Elder L's transfer at Calisto and Christine's


Steven joined the party


Elder L's B'day... He wanted Chocolate Chip cookies

Burned a batch but they took them anyway!... That's a rooster on the cloth but almost looks like a lobster
 

3 new members

3 new more members

Lunch afterwards... These are our girls...
 

Bridget and the gang

A monument in Long Tom Pass which is on the way to Lydenburg

The Long Tom Cannon

Sister Lorraine in the striped shirt going to give her newly baptized husband his towel

Ruben's B'day celebration at Cicada. Sister Lorraine was our server

Ruben and Diane. They had a chocolate torte

Two Loraine's.... One spelled correctly the other not. I am eating a Smashed Pavlova... Yummy

Olgar's house with the Dunns and the Elders in Lydenburg. They took better photos then we did so if you want to track their visit check out Sister Dunn's blog on South Africa Johannesburg Mission

Masinga's house with the  Dunns

Saw an article about California burning. Sad. They purposely burn all the brush in the hills every year. Mountains are on fire every spring. Black ash falls everywhere
 




These are controlled burns that don't seem to hurt the trees. Strange how they do that
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NYC: Murder Brooklyn Style

NYC: Murder Brooklyn Style
Dang this copyrighted stuff! Couldn't get rid of the red face!

NYC: A Mission To Die For

NYC: A Mission To Die For